Thar She Blows!
Hawaii Whale Watching Tips
Hawaii whale watching tips for an enjoyable experience:
- Families with small children should choose a company with a larger boat that has railings.
- Make sure and bring a jacket along with you as the ocean winds and ocean spray can sometimes create chilly conditions.
- If you bring a camera consider a model that has a fast shutter speed as well as a long lens.
- Don’t arrive late. There may be some preparation required and captains need everyone to be on time and on board so the tour is not delayed.
- Go with a company that offers “guaranteed Humpback Whale sightings.”
- Get a chart of whale behaviors and see how many you can identify during your whale watching tour.
- Look for spinner dolphins. The dolphins often ride in the bow waves of the boats making for an exciting view.
- If you want to make sure you hear humpback songs check with the tour company to make sure their craft has hydrophones to broadcast the sounds.
- If you are prone to seasickness bring some seasickness medicine and don’t eat before the tour.
- Be patient as you scan the horizon for signs of humpback whales, and maybe you will be the first one aboard to chime out, “Thar She Blows!”
© 1997-2011 Aloha from Hawaii